On a night when Red Wolves Hoops upset Georgetown 78-72, Red Wolves football did its job in Troy, upending #25 Trojans and taking undisputed command of the Sun Belt. Once again, playing as the underdog on the road on a Thursday night (just as it did in 2015 versus Appalachian State) the Red Wolves reminded the nation that the Sun Belt Sheriff’s Badge belongs to Arkansas State.
The Red Wolves Monster D, which limited the Sun Belt’s highest scoring offense to a field goal, forced five turnovers, including a fumble recovery from Chris Humes in the end zone to start the third quarter. Humes’ TD came courtesy of Chris Odom’s forced fumble on a Brandon Silvers sack, who had only been dumped 3 times all season. Silvers was sacked twice by the Red Wolves on Thursday night.
Offensively, the Red Wolves was toothless until late in the second quarter, when a big 4th down conversion pass from wide receiver Cameron Echols-Luper to cornerback Chris Humes kept the final Red Wolves drive of the half alive. Trick Play U is back! The tomfoolery would soon set up a sweet Hansen-to-Kendall Sanders TD.
The Red Wolves dismantled the Trojans in the 3rd quarter, scoring 21 points on the Humes fumble recovery, a four yard TD run by resurgent backup QB Chad Voytik and a 24-yard Johnston White (37 yards, 1 TD) end zone rumble.
Justin Clifton came away with a red zone INT early in the fourth, but Troy’s fate wasn’t completely sealed until Chad Voytik (61 rushing yards, 1 TD) and RB Daryl Rollins Davis (31 yards 1 TD) capped the quarter off with a punishing 16 plays, 91 yards, 10 minutes, 53 seconds scoring drive.
The last time Troy faced such a terrible beat down, it starred Brad Pitt and Brian Cox. I’m not even ashamed for writing that. The 6-4 Red Wolves now sit alone atop the Sun Belt standings.
Stats, Odds and Whatevs
- This is Arkansas State’s second win over an AP Top 25 opponent. The Red Wolves defeated #25 Kent State in the 2012 GoDaddy Bowl.
- Justice Hansen, who sat the 4th quarter for Chad Voytik, finished the night with 149 yards and a score.
- Brandon Silvers finished the evening with 207 yards, zero TDs and two INTs.
- Jordan Chunn was held to just 51 yards, 3.2 per carry.
- Ja’Von Roland Jones sack on Silvers, his 9th of the season, tied the Sun Belt all time record with 26.5 QB dumps.
- Justin Clifton collected two INTs in the fourth quarter.
- Three fumble recoveries for Arkansas State from three different defenders (Money Hunter, Chris Humes and Chris Odom).
- This is the 15th straight conference win for Arkansas State.
Trojans attempt to regroup against Texas State and the Red Wolves check in on the Cajuns