Army is coming off of the best season since 1996, going 8-5 and beating Navy. Head Coach Jeff Monken definitely used the team’s success to their advantage bringing in a huge amount of new players, 91 to be exact (is anything in recruiting ever really exact, though?).
Army’s national signing day is a strange but fun one, as the school cannot release names of incoming players until they make it past basic training or BEAST. That’s right, football players don’t get special treatment at the Academies, they do everything every a Cadet has to do.
But, if you are a die hard fan you can find out who is coming into the program before the school releases the names, through articles like this or on twitter.
Army Likes Texas and Georgia:
30 of Army’s 91 commits come from Texas and Georgia(15 from each). Some stand out players from these states are:
- DL Hunter Adams(TX)
- CB Dallas Blacklock(TX), who is a member of 2016 United States Under-18 national team
- RB Trevor Gear(GA), who was one of Army’s top targets
- K Brooks Hosea(GA)
Kicking, Kicking, Kicking:
Army was terrible at kicking last year no matter what form it was; kickoffs, punts, PAT’s, or field goals. They missed 4 PAT’s and made half of their field goal attempts.
The Black Knights hit the kicking spot hard and brought in five new kickers; Hosea, Michael Leisle, Kevin Madigan, Sean McNulty, and Bailey Schroeder.
Fans are pumped for new kickers (no that’s not weird, shut up) as shown on twitter today. Here are just two examples:
@West_Point_Fans between him and McNulty I’m pretty stoked about probable kicker improvements next season
— Mike Davis (@QuacktorDavis) February 2, 2017
— Barstool Army (@ArmyBarstool) February 1, 2017
This is The Class That Cements Army’s Revival:
Yes, Army had an eight-win season and a lot of people, including me, are screaming “Army football is back”. The true test to see if they are really back or not is in the coming years to see if they can replicate the success of this past season.
Unlike past years where the only true expectation was to beat Navy (we all know how that went, but they ended the streak, so we don’t need to mention it), now there are expectations to get to bowl games, get 8+ wins, and most importantly win the Commander in Chief trophy.
This class has the ability to do that, as there are guys in this group that can help skyrocket this program into the national spotlight, much like how people talked about Western Michigan or Navy the past couple seasons. Now is the time for Army football and the coaches know it.
2017 Army football commits (91) List includes stats or facts for some players; subject to change via late add-ons and players lost during BEAST.
- DL Hunter Adams, 6-1, 275, Cy-Fair HS, Cypress, Texas
- QB Christian Anderson, 6-1, 180, Cardinal Hayes HS, Bronx, N.Y.
- DE Kendall Bailey, 6-4, 240, Kell HS, Marietta, Ga.
- LB Greg Benton, 6-1, 210, Long Reach HS, Columbia, Md.
- CB Dallas Blacklock, 5-10, 165, Sharpstown HS, Houston, Texas
- CB Jordan Blackman, 5-11, 170, St. Genevieve HS, Panorama City, Calif.
- DE/LB Luke Blanton, 6-2, 225, Highland Park HS, Dallas, Texas
- S Zack Boobas, 5-10, 190, Jefferson (Ga.) HS
- S Elijah Boyd, 6-2, 175, Frisco (Texas) HS
- RB Kaelin Byrd, 5-11, 207, Cambridge HS, Milton, Ga.
- TE Chris Cameron, 6-3, 220, Catholic HS, Baton Rouge, La.
- S Daniel Charles, 6-1, 190, Marietta (Ga.) HS
- RB-LB Nasser Clark, 5-10, 190, White County HS, Cleveland, Ga.
- DL Alex Crawford, 6-1, 255, Southern Alamance HS, Graham, N.C.
- RB-LB Keelan Crosby, 5-10, 200, Appling County HS, Baxley, Ga.
- DE Eddie Crutchfield, 6-3, 240, Charlotte (N.C.) Latin School
- RB-S Cedrick Cunningham, 6-foot, 190, North Central HS, Kershaw, S.C.
- QB Clay Czyzynski, 6-foot, 205, New Trier HS, Winnetka, Ill.
- OL Abraham Delfin, 6-1, 285, Plaquemine (La.) HS
- LB Kieren Douglas, 6-2, 212, Pickerington (Ohio) Central HS
- DE Ryan Duran, 6-5, 220, Pine-Richland HS, Gibsonia, Pa.
- WR Sean Eckert, 6-4, 180, Westfield HS, Chantilly, Va.
- RB Ton Evans, 5-8, 175, Northgate HS, Newnan, Ga
- TE Austen Ferbet, 6-4, 225, Prairie Ridge HS, Crystal Lake, Ill.
- CB Quentin Frazier, 6-foot, 190, Mater Dei Catholic, Chula Vista, Calif.
- RB Trevor Gear, 6-foot, 205, Eagle’s Landing Christian Academy, McDonough, Ga.
- LB Nick Ghazarian, 6-2, 218, Crespi HS, Encino, Calif.
- P Michael Gillespie, 6-foot, 180, Howard HS, Ellicott City, Md.
- LB Ray Gonzalez, 6-3, 215, Grafton HS, Yorktown, Va.
- OL Holton Greenfield, 6-3, 245, Vandegrift HS, Austin, Texas
- DE Harrison Greenhill, 6-4, 235, Lake Highland Prep, Orlando, Fla.
- DL Trevor Hallock, 6-2, 255, La Mirada (Calif.) HS
- WR Jonathan Hamilton, 6-3, 220, St. Patrick HS, Chicago, Ill.
- TE John Harrar, 6-8, 230, Strath Haven HS, Wallingford, Pa.
- LB Ty Harris, 6-1, 220, Dacula (Ga.) HS
- OL Ethan Harvey, 6-4, 286, Evangel Christian Academy, Shreveport, La.
- DE Karl Holler, 6-5, 247, The Tatnall School, Wilmington, Del.
- OL Kamaron Holloway, 6-3, 255, Duncanville (Texas) HS
- K Brooks Hosea, 6-foot, 175, Blessed Trinity HS, Roswell, Ga.
- DE Jack Hough, Coate Rosemary Hall HS, Wallingford, Conn.
- RB AJ Howard, 6-foot, 190, Stephens County HS, Toccoa, Ga.
- S Daniel Jackson, 6-1, 192, Middle Creek HS, Apex, N.C.
- S Jordan Jackson, 5-11, 180, Park Vista HS, Lake Worth, Fla.
- CB Caleb John, 5-10, 181, St. Frances Academy, Baltimore, Md.
- LB Nate Jones, 6-4, 200, Vance HS, Charlotte, N.C.
- QB Jordan Johnson, 6-foot, 205, Hooks (Texas) HS
- RB Issac Kinsey, 5-11, 173, Chattahoochee HS, Alpharetta, Ga.
- OL Noah Knapp, 6-foot, 270, Bishop Sullivan HS, Virginia Beach, Va.
- SB Aaron Knowles, 5-11, 184, Cherokee HS, Canton, Ga.
- S Jordan Lane, 6-1, 185, North Guilford HS, Greensboro, N.C.
- RB Tyler Lavine, 5-11, 210, Cedar Park (Texas) HS
- LS Paul Lawless, 6-4, 215, Cardinal Gibbons HS, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- QB Jabari Laws, 5-9, 160, Wise HS, Upper Marlboro, Md.
- P-K Michael Leisle, 6-foot, 165, Nease HS, Ponte Vedra, Fla.
- LB Jeremiah Lowery, 6-3, 235, Park Crossing HS, Montgomery, Ala.
- K Kevin Madigan, 5-10, 170, Coppell (Texas) HS
- OL Luke McCleery, 6-5, 285, Grapevine Faith Christian HS, Grapevine, Texas
- DB Julian McDuffie, 5-11, 162, Shiloh HS, Snellville, Ga
- T-DE Daniel McGeough, 6-6, 230, Chartiers Valley HS, Bridgeville, Pa.
- LS Caleb McKee, 6-2, 190, Arlington (Texas) HS
- K Sean McNulty, 6-1, 210, Maine South HS, Park Ridge, Ill.
- FB DJ Miller, 6-foot, 220, Chico (Calif.) HS
- CB Akyah Miranda, 5-10, 160, Belton-Honea Path HS, Honea Path, S.C.
- RB Garnett Nicolas, 6-1, 225, John S. Burke Catholic HS, Goshen, N.Y
- CB Dean Ngendakuriyo, 5-11, 180, Benedictine HS, Richmond, Va.
- LS Kyle O’Connor, 6-1, 210, St. Thomas Aquinas HS, Louisville, Ohio
- DT Ryan O’Malley, 6-4, 260, Libertyville (Ill.) HS
- FB Markens Pierre, 5-11, 215, Glades Day School, Belle Glade, Fla.
- OL-DL Dean Powell, 6-1, 290, Buford (Ga.) HS
- LB Jon Rhattigan, 6-2, 220, Neuqua Valley HS, Naperville, Ill.
- RB-LB Ryan Rivera, 6-3, 225, Kimball HS, Tracy, Calif.
- WR Michael Roberts, 6-4, 205, Vance HS, Charlotte, N.C.
- LB Ben Roth, 6-1, 210, Seminole HS, Sanford, Fla
- WR Gabe Schappell, 6-3, 215, Exeter HS, Reading, Pa.
- K Bailey Schroeder, 6-foot, 175, Valley Christian HS, San Jose, Calif.
- C Will Schumacher, 6-3, 265, Penn-Trafford HS, Harrison City, Pa.
- QB Dominique Shoffner, 6-1, 210, Middle Creek HS, Apex, N.C.
- DE-TE Nick Slusher, 6-4, 238, Cedar Creek HS, Ruston, La.
- LB Arik Smith, 6-1, 230, St. John’s College HS, Washington, D.C.
- LB Joe Stephenson, 6-foot, 197, Woodberry Forest (Va.) HS
- DE Josh Thomas, 6-4, 230, St. John’s HS, Houston, Texas
- QB Tyhier Tyler, 5-9, 168, Woodside HS, Newport News, Va.
- DE-LB Tommy Upton, 6-4, 205, Strake Jesuit Prep, Houston, Texas
- S Taylor Vessel, 6-1, 195, Clear Falls HS, League City, Texas
- DE Ted Wages, 6-4, 225, Auburn (Ala.) HS
- RB Joe Wallace, 5-10, 185, Bishop Moore HS, Orlando, Fla.
- T Zack Ward, 6-6, 255, Byrd HS, Shreveport, La.
- OL Caden Williams, 6-5, 270, Franklin (Tenn.) HS
- S Mike Williams, 6-3, 180, Watson Chapel HS, Pine Bluff, Ark.
- G Kenny Willoughby, 6-5, 295, Astronaut HS, Titusville, Fla.
- LB Kemonte Yow, 6-1, 235, DeSoto (Texas) HS