We are another week into the college baseball season and the Stetson Hatters made national news. They fought the SEC’s mighty Florida Gators and held a 10-1 lead when rain settled in. Rather than attempt to make up rest of the game and make it official, the Gators canceled the game. Effectively, the game was never played.
Rather than stay down in the dumps about a potential win over a top ten program, the Hatters pulled out a 2-1 win in ten innings over Florida Gulf Coast in the first game of a three-game series. Keep an eye on Stetson, they can play some baseball.
Oh, and uh Buffalo is saying goodbye to baseball.
Current Top 25 Programs (Baseball America Poll):
- Cal State Fullerton (17-10, #12):Another week and another 2-2 record keeps the Titans in the top 15 to start the week. Since then, they won another two game and are sitting at 19-10 overall and a perfect 4-0 in April. Maybe the Titans have found their offense after averaging 10 runs over the last four games.
- Florida Gulf Coast (24-8, #18):It was a tough time for the Eagles since earning a #11 ranking the previous week. Losing two of three to Jacksonville, both games to Florida State and the series opener to Stetson puts FGCU on a five-game losing streak heading into the weekend. Dunk City needs a win badly.
- Long Beach State (18-11, #19): Welcome to the top 25 Dirtbags. Long Beach State is one of the most storied little guy programs on the west coast not named Fullerton. With four College World Series appearances and 19 total NCAA tournament appearances, they are no stranger to the top 25. After a tough start to the season, they are on a roll, winning eight of their last ten games.
- Southern Miss (25-6, #21): There are few teams in the nation hotter than the Golden Eagles. They have only lost twice since March 11 and one of those two losses was to SEC power Ole Miss. The C-USA leaders are raking the ball with a .310 overall batting average and 45 homeruns on the year. FRESHMAN Matt Wallner leads the team with 10 longballs. Yes, he is a freshman. Southern Miss has a deep and talented bullpen that can make up for spotty starting pitching. My advice is to watch Nick Sandlin on the mound. The former freshman All-American is a certified stud this season.
Others to watch:
- San Diego (20-8, #24 D1Baseball.com), South Florida (25-5, #26 D1Baseball.com), Houston (21-8, #25 D1Baseball.com), East Carolina (18-13), Louisiana-Lafayette (18-12), Mercer (26-6), Sam Houston State (21-9), Missouri State (19-10), McNeese State (21-9), Saint Mary’s (19-10), Coastal Carolina (19-11), Dallas Baptist (18-11).
- Erik Ostberg, Hartford: .506
- Ben Fisher, Eastern Kentucky: 15
On Base Percentage:
- Erik Ostberg, Hartford: .598
- Jackson Ware, Mercer: 13
- Drew Butler, Campbell: 23
- Ben Fisher, Eastern Kentucky: 43
- Seth Romero, Houston: 76
Strikeouts Per Nine Innings:
- Seth Romero, Houston: 15.43
- Wyatt Burns, Samford: 12