After running two votes, one via twitter and one staff vote, the winner of the first Byron Leftwich Award is ready to be announced.
After winning the staff vote by garnering 60 percent of the votes, San Diego State running back Rashaad Penny is the winner of the Leftwich Award!
Penny placed second behind Ahmad Bradshaw in the twitter vote with 32 percent while Bradshaw finished with 39 percent of the fan vote. The full results are below.
- RB Rashaad Penny SDSU 49.5%
- QB Ahmad Bradshaw Army 34.5%
- RB Devin Singletary FAU 8.5%
- QB McKenzie Milton UCF 6.5%
Penny finished the season with a nation-leading 2,248 rushing yards on just 289 carries. That equates to a highly impressive 7.78 yards per carry. Penny found the end zone 23 times on the ground, second in the country and only behind Leftwich finalist Devin Singletary’s 32 scores. Penny ended the 2017 campaign with the fifth most rushing yards in a single season in FBS history. He passed former teammate Donnell Pumphrey’s 2,133 yard 2016 season.
Offensive Player of the Year Award
QB McKenzie Milton UCF- 25 votes
249/360 3,795 yards 35 TD 9 INT
2. RB Rashaad Penny SDSU- 18 votes
3. RB Devin Singletary FAU- 15 votes
4. QB Riley Ferguson Memphis- 13 votes
5. WR Anthony Miller Memphis- 10 votes
Defensive Player of the Year Award
DE Ja’Von Rolland-Jones Arkansas State- 23 votes
56 tackles 19 TFL 13 sacks
2. DE Sutton Smith NIU- 19 votes
3. LB Frank Ginda SJSU- 13 votes
4. LB Shaquem Griffin UCF- 11 votes
T5. DE Brian Womac Rice- 8 votes
T5. DE Joe Ostman CMU- 8 votes
Ret Marcus Jones Troy- 24 votes
29 KR 879 yards 30.31 YPR 3 TD
2. Ret Marcus Green ULM- 16 votes
3. P Corey Bojorquez UNM- 12 votes
4. K Trevor Moore UNT- 6 votes
5. Ret Mike Hughes UCF- 5 votes
Comeback Team of the Year
UAB Blazers- 29 votes
8-5 in first season of return to football
2. Florida Atlantic- 15 votes
T3. New Mexico State- 11 votes
T3. Fresno State- 11 votes
5. North Texas- 9 votes
That about wraps up our national awards. Coming on Monday, we will present the winner of our very first Coach of the Year Award!