The offseason in college football is a long trek through the desert. But it is littered with days like today that make the sojourn seem almost bearable. When word came that the Sun Belt office would announce the schedule on Tuesday at 3 p.m. EST, thousands of Sun Belt football fans scrambled to their respective battle stations in anticipation. Eagle Nation, as you should know by now, was no different. Georgia Southern Twitter was absolutely abuzz with activity this afternoon.
How many mid-week games will we be asked to sacrifice at the altar of ESPN?
Will the Georgia State game be played on rivalry weekend after Thanksgiving?
When will we play conference contenders Troy and Arkansas State?
Where will the Coastal Carolina trip be so I can plan a beach vacation around it?
All important questions. For the first time since 2015, the Eagles are guaranteed six home games. The Sun Belt did not disappoint. Without further ado, here it is.
- Six home games (can’t be emphasized enough).
- Five on Saturdays. Expect big crowds this Fall.
- Four of first five games are at home, including Arkansas State in the late September South Georgia heat.
- Only two Thursday Night games, one road game at Texas State and the annual matchup vs. hated rival Appalachian State.
- Trip to Coastal Carolina on November 17, not ideal but not terrible right before Thanksgiving.
- Georgia State on Rivalry Weekend to wrap it up.
This is quite clearly the most favorable schedule Georgia Southern has had since joining the Belt. I wasn’t the only one to feel that way:
It’s well balanced. Plenty of early home games to build momentum going into October. Two weeks after the Clemson game to prepare for Arkansas State. No hard conference games back-to-back. The two games at San Marcos and at Las Cruces are the longest road trips the Eagles will endure all season. After two seasons where Georgia Southern couldn’t buy a break if it was sold at the Dollar Tree, things are coming up roses all of a sudden.
I look forward to being in Paulson a lot this season. This schedule works with me. I hope to see y’all there. Don’t forget to show up and show out, so we can help out our Eagles choke out some opponents this Fall.