Hello, Forgotten 5 readers. My name is Fletcher Keel and I’m writing my first words for Forgotten 5. You’ll be reading a lot of me in the near future, but that is neither here nor there right now.
What is here and there is the 2019 NFL Draft. Yay! While my interest in the NFL wains from time to time (I’m 100% that guy who at the outset of the year says “I’m going to watch every game” but then loses interest by Week 6), I always, always, make the draft – especially the first night of it – appointment viewing.
And, because I’ll be watching, I figured “why not be blogging!” (Because that’s how little a life I lead.)
Anyway, hang with me this evening as we keep track of all of the Forgottens in the draft through the first couple of days. It may be slow in the early going, with really only Ed Oliver as a top-tier G5 prospect, but we’ll have some fun along the way.
Here is your first round draft order. We’ll update it throughout the day with the selections.
- Arizona Cardinals – Kyler Murray, QB (Oklahoma)
- San Francisco 49ers – Nick Bosa, DE (Ohio State)
- New York Jets – Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama)
- Oakland Raiders – Clelin Ferrell, DE (Clemson)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Devin White, ILB (LSU)
- New York Giants – Daniel Jones, QB (Duke)
- Jacksonville Jaguars – Josh Allen, LB (Kentucky)
- Detroit Lions – TJ Hockenson, TE (Iowa)
- Buffalo Bills – Ed Oliver, DT (Houston)
- Pittsburgh Steelers (from Denver Broncos, day of trade) – Devin Bush, ILB (Michigan)
- Cincinnati Bengals – Jonah Williams, OT (Alabama)
- Green Bay Packers – Rashan Gary, DE (Michigan)
- Miami Dolphins – Christian Wilkins, DE (Clemson)
- Atlanta Falcons – Chris Lindstrom, OL (Boston College)
- Washington Redskins – Dwayne Haskins, QB (Ohio State)
- Carolina Panthers – Brian Burns, DE (Florida State)
- New York Giants (from Cleveland Browns) – Dexter Fowler, DE (Clemson)
- Minnesota Vikings – Garrett Bradbury, C (NC State)
- Tennessee Titans – Jeffery Simmons, DT (Mississippi State)
- Denver Broncos (from Pittsburgh Steelers, day of trade) – Noah Fant, TE (Iowa)
- Green Bay Packers (from Seattle Seahawks, day of trade) – Darnell Savage, Jr. S (Maryland)
- Philadelphia Eagles (from Baltimore Ravens, day of trade) – Andre Dillard, OT (Washington State)
- Houston Texans – Tytus Howard, OT (Alabama State)
- Oakland Raiders (from Chicago Bears) – Josh Jacobs, RB (Alabama)
- Baltimore Ravens (from Philadelphia Eagles, day of trade) – Marquise Brown, WR (Oklahoma)
- Washington Redskins (from Indianapolis Colts, day of trade) – Montez Sweat, DE (Mississippi State)
- Oakland Raiders (from Dallas Cowboys) – Johnathan Abram, S (Mississippi State)
- Los Angeles Chargers – Jerry Tillery, DT (Notre Dame)
- Seattle Seahawks (from Kansas City Chiefs) – L.J. Collier, DE (TCU)
- New York Giants (from Green Bay Packers, day of trade – from New Orleans Saints) – Deandre Baker, CB (Georgia)
- Atlanta Falcons (from Los Angeles Rams, day of trade) – Kaleb McGary, OT (Washington)
- New England Patriots – N’Keal Harry, WR (Arizona State)
So strap in, enjoy your beverages and snacks, and lets have some fun.
PICK 1 – CARDINALS
Well gang, there it is. A QB battle in Arizona.
Too bad none of us care because P5 BOOOOOOOOOO.
PICK 3 – JETS
The first Bammer of the night is off the board.
Also, at the pace of this draft, I could walk to Nashville from Tallahassee and be there in time for the final pick, I bet.
PICK 6 – GIANTS
Fun fact, that’s the first Duke QB in the history of football to be drafted.
That may or may not be factual.
We are approaching “Ed Oliver at any selection,” territory, I do believe.
PICK 7 – JAGS
Josh Allen is off the board. I kind of wanted him to fall to my Falcons (or, more so, the Falcons do something to move up to get him) but he’ll be a great fit in Sacksonville.
AND WE HAVE OUR FIRST G5ER OFF THE BOARD
Ed Oliver is headed to the Bills, where he joins the #16 rushing defense and top passing defense from a year ago. Oliver will be a key piece as the Bills restructure their defensive line and will most likely take the place of Kyle Williams, who retired at the end of the 2018 season.
PICK 10 – STEELERS
I could care less about this pick or the Steelers (sorry, Nic) but former North Texas great Mean Green Joe made the pick announcement. And that’s not nothing.
PICK 14 – FALCONS
Does BC count as a G5?
Alabama State’s Tytus Howard has been selected in the first round, going to Houston with the 23rd overall selection.
Howard was a member of a Hornets offensive line that averaged 108 yards per game and 3.0 yards per carry and joins a Texans OLine that averaged 4.3 yards per carry.
A former tight end, he’s still learning how to play the offensive line (hello George Fant comparisons, maybe?) but it’s hard to dislike this pick if you’re an FCS fan.
Here’s a bit of a fun fact – he has been selected before the draft’s first wide receiver or running back.
Thanks for joining me for the first round. Only two Forgottens have been taken but that should pick up sooner than later.